Why you should continue your job search during the Holiday Season.
Job searching during the holidays can add an additional stress level and an already stressful time of year. But there is an upside to interviewing during the holiday season.
Here’s why Job hunting during the holidays is such a brilliant idea!!
With over 20% of job seekers opting out of job searching due to the holidays, a fifth of your competition just left the market, and an even larger percentage fail to update their resumes and profiles on the job search engines. So now is the time to capitalize on that advantage.
How to beat the Holiday Job Search blues:
- Create complete job applications. Resist the urge to send a blind resume. Employers seeking to hire are more likely to view resumes in an online format that they are accustomed to. The rest is for the delete button.
- Please follow the job application instructions. To ignore directions tells the manager that you do not/will not follow directions – and you wonder why they have not called on your resume!
- If you created a job application more than three months ago, please go back in and update it; better yet, create a new resume or profile. You may have fallen to Resume 1005 – nobody reads that many.
- Most job boards allow you to add up to three resumes/profiles. Every now and again, update to rise to the top.
- Change or remove your objective or summary, so your info looks new.
- Take a good attitude and lots of business cards to holiday functions. Hint: do not hand out your resume at holiday functions. Offer to email it the next day.
- Still no hits or interviews after three weeks – thrash the whole thing. Create a new resume or profile. Do it yourself or invest in your career, have a professional resume writer design it for you.
- Some of the best salary offers are made during this upbeat time of year – so hang in there!!
Visit us often at FranklinPaterson Company for resume writing, cover letters, and interview coaching that will enhance your job search, and get you noticed for the right reasons.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!!